The Institute of Aviation conducts research and development work in the area of aviation, space studies and other related technology areas, and specifically:
- Strength studies and analyses
- Aeronautical constructions
- Environmental studies
- Integrated mechanical and electrical system design
The institute consists of four departments:
- The New Technologies Centre (NTC), which carries out large-scale innovation projects in cooperation with partners from the European Union. It specialises in the areas of light aviation and astronautics;
- Engineering Design Centre, which cooperates within a strategic partnership with General Electric. It specialises in expert opinions and R&D work related to aircraft jet engines and related fields;
- The Materials and Structures Research Centre, which provides studies of highly mechanically and thermally loaded materials and structures;
- The Net Institute, which operates in the area of network projects, promotion of knowledge, education and prospective future areas f activity.
The institute conducts large-scale EU and trans-Atlantic research cooperation in the areas of aircraft engines, aerodynamics, aircraft structures and materials research.